dangermousie: (Mary by coloures)
[personal profile] dangermousie
I felt in the mood for something sunny and happy-making this morning, and something I haven't watched to death. Solution? I finally finished Mary Stayed Out All Night (Marry Me Mary), a so-very-flawed but oh-so-darling drama from 2010.



I very rarely care for kdrama romcoms but I went rabid for MMM when it aired. Its quirky, offbeat vibe appealed to me and I really fell for its protagonists, Mary and Mugyul, and the ridiculous chemistry between Moon Geun Young and Jang Geun Seok (in fact, MMM was the drama that converted me to a JGS fangirl - prior to it I was actually a bit of an anti). The problem was everything else - every other character was annoying and/or boring, the script derailed and kept derailing like a rollecoaster about to collapse (at one point, the writer apparently considered killing off Mugyul, only to be thwarted by JGS. You have to have seen the drama to realize how insane that was from plot, character and vibe standpoint).

MMM was, by no definition of the word, a good drama. And yet I loved it. It belongs to that small but treasured categories of dramas where you know they are, objectively, bad, but the OTP is so lovely, you don't care. (Myung Wol the Spy is another drama like that. So was Lie to Me for a lot of people, though not me).

I bailed after ep 12, but I felt in the mood today, and finished it, with selective fastfowarding (i.e., every scene without our OTP). And my verdict stands - very flawed, appallingly written (oh, what they could have done with the writer of Shut Up! It could have been a lovely story about musicians, hipsters, hippies et al.), but the OTP just makes me forget everything and feels my heart with joy and love.



































Awww, poor woobie! (I do wonder why she didn't tell him about her scheme to get out of the marriage).




















All better!





















































































































Have an adorable MV:

Date: 2012-03-12 04:57 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] rectherapyfreak.livejournal.com
Yay!! I'm so glad you finished it!!! i alredy rewatched this drama! I know the story isn't amazing but I just love this drama to death (loved Myung WOl and adored Lie to Me too...lol I guess I love the horribly written dramas...lol..)

I loved the OTP as well as the OST! The video game like sounding music has been my ring tone for over a year now! :D Love the Bus song a lot as well as most of the other songs! I still listen to the songs pretty frequently.

Music is really important to me in liking a show or not. A really good ost can even make me think I like a drama more than I do. I liked the show Chuno but there were a lot of parts I found quite boring. Since I love the ost so much sometimes I forget that I only arted Chuno with 3 1/2 stars because I think the ost is so awesome!! I bought it and listen to it at least one every other month.

Date: 2012-03-13 01:53 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dangermousie.livejournal.com
It does have a good OST (as does Chuno which I adored more than you did) and I am slave to M&M couple.

Date: 2012-03-12 06:37 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] timescout.livejournal.com
Yeah, I guess we all have at least one of these. Mine was Heartstrings. :)

Date: 2012-03-13 01:53 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dangermousie.livejournal.com
I'd add Heartstrings to my list too.

Date: 2012-03-12 08:08 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] hamster428.livejournal.com
Mine is My Girl... although that's not as nearly criminally bad. MGY is my favorite k actress and I'm sad to say ironically I haven't liked any of her dramas.
(I did like the handcuffs kiss)

Date: 2012-03-13 01:53 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dangermousie.livejournal.com
I think MG is actually good, but mmv :)

I didn't like MGY until MMM which made me a believer.

Date: 2012-03-12 10:01 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] boycottbananas.livejournal.com
This post gives me the same feelings that [livejournal.com profile] darkeyedwolf's pimp post for Can You Hear My Heart gave me. orz. Ironically I haven't finished either dramas but love both anyway rofl.

I so so so so soooooo badly want them in another drama together. Sigh.

Date: 2012-03-13 01:52 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dangermousie.livejournal.com
I need them costar together again - they are beyond adorable together.

Date: 2012-03-13 08:19 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] december-clouds.livejournal.com
I really loved this when it came out but never finished it when the plot went crazy. The first few episodes were fantastic and pretty much everything I look for in a drama. Thanks for the caps. :)

Date: 2012-03-16 03:42 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dangermousie.livejournal.com
Last ep sort of got back on track too, but yeah, it went insane for a while

Date: 2012-03-13 01:25 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cat meow (from livejournal.com)
Very well written review. I agree with you. MMM was a very promising drama that went crazy due to some issues (especially with the sudden change of writer). This is what converted me to a fanatic of this couple. I keep on watching back the scenes with our OTP because it makes my heart flutter. ^_^

Date: 2012-03-16 03:42 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dangermousie.livejournal.com
Yes, the couple kept me watching long after sanity should have made me quit. They are golden.

Date: 2012-03-13 02:32 pm (UTC)
From: (Anonymous)
I agree about the lame story. What kept me watching is the chemistry between MGY and JGS. Very natural. I wish they'll have another drama. I also love the alley kiss. ~_*

Date: 2012-03-16 03:41 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dangermousie.livejournal.com
Yes, the chemistry was insane. It was what saved the drama.

Date: 2012-03-15 02:21 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] thinking-lotus.livejournal.com
(oh, what they could have done with the writer of Shut Up! It could have been a lovely story about musicians, hipsters, hippies et al.)

Agreed. MMM was a few seasons ahead of its time. It would have made a GREAT cable drama.

Date: 2012-03-16 03:41 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dangermousie.livejournal.com
Yeah, what a missed opportunity!

Date: 2012-03-16 08:57 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] mindy (from livejournal.com)
I admit i wasn't a fan of this show. But i like the characters. I keep complaining about the plot and everything but i still finish watching the show. But i am now looking forward to Love Rain.

Date: 2012-03-17 06:57 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dangermousie.livejournal.com
OMG, I need Love Rain in my life!

Profile

dangermousie: (Default)
dangermousie

December 2018

S M T W T F S
      1
2 34 5 6 7 8
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Jul. 20th, 2026 12:56 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios