It hit me that the reason I adore Bridal Mask
so much is because it's pretty much wuxia in disguise. Don't believe me? Let's see:
1. Not only is the protagonist highly proficient in weapons and hand-to-hand, but a decent chunk of the cast seems to have fighting skills that would make a ninja weep and use them on a regular basis.
2. A death toll to rival that of the plague and enough emotional and physical torture of the protagonist to make a team of shrinks happy for decades.
3. Hissable bad guys with questionable facial hair and even grottier henchmen.
4. Heroine who is good at fighting and has an enemies-but-first-loves thing going on with the hero. Occasionally they work out their issues through mortal combat.
5. Secondary girl who sows death and destruction through sexy minion.
6. Families full not just of dysfunction but of of literal fighting - these two brothers cross swords on a regular basis.
7. Evil secret societies.
8. Not only people recover from pretty fatal wounds, but less fatal wounds heal freakishly fast - when you think someone should be in the hospital recovering for weeks, he/she is out in a day, kicking ass and taking names.
9. More secrets and masks and double and triple identities and vendettas than you can shake a stick at.
10. A wise old mentor with facial hair imparting secrets of the past family tragedies and feuds and nifty fighting assistance.
Also, after the brutal misery that was ep 6 of BM, I wanted to watch Joo Won in something more cheerful so I continued with Ojakgyo Brothers
ep 42. The hightlight of which, for me, was this little exchange:
Ja Eun asks Tae Hee why he doesn't want to tell his family they are dating. And TH tells her "If we reveal it, Grandma will ask us to get married. We can't do that." JE gets really pissed off and walks off but then comes back and:
JE: Aren't you going to marry me then? Are you not going to marry me?
TH: It's not that... Of course I'll marry you.
JE: Then, about Grandma making us marry...and you said we can't. What does it mean?
TH: That's because of you. You're still young.
Did you just propose to me?
Ahahahahahahaaaaaaaa! And JE gets awfully flustered. They are so cute!( More adorable caps from the ep )
And I stopped right there because I know the whole 'it seems Ja Eun's Dad killed Tae Hee's Dad' storyline is coming up and if I have to watch Joo Won angst in two separate dramas at once, I might rupture something.