And we have a winner in "Mousie's next period cdrama" sweepstakes. I actually already started this evening because (a) Jade Palace Lock Heart is still being actively subbed and I need a binge drama as well and (b) I find myself reluctant to move on from ep 10 of Three Kingdoms. I am really happy with where the characters currently are but I know they won't stay that way for long and seeing how psycho I went earlier, I need a little break before I go for bout n2. Plus, 3K is such a smart drama I need to stay fully focused and alert when I watch it but Yang Clan I can watch even when more exhausted.
But out of that huge list of potential cdramas, why Yang Clan? Well, here are my ten reasons.
1. Out of all the ones on the list, it's one of the few I already started but it's also the one I was most episodes into (10 to be exact - I restarted with ep 11).
2. My biggest cdrama crush, Hu Ge, plays one of the main characters, and he's awesome, and his OTP is awesome and *gasp* he gets a happy ending!
( How could you not ship them - proof )
3. There is underwater kissing. ( here )
4. It's a historical drama, not wuxia/fantasy. I happen to love the latter, but my true passion is the former. Plus, it's a period about which I haven't watched many dramas.
5. I honestly do love the Yang family - especially Yang Papa and Yang Mama. But all the brothers are great and the little sister is wonderful and everyone's OTPs rock and the siblings and parents care for each other.
6. Yuan Hong playing a charismatic baddie (though, sorry, I still want to murder him for kidnapping a child. But he's an interesting character, despite the bizarre fur hat).
7. Three Kingdoms gave me a raging crush on Peter Ho. Guess who plays the abandoned Fourth Brother and has an OTP with my cdrama favorite, Liu Shi Shi. (Though, if I am honest, the outcome of his storyline was a large part of what kept me from this drama - I just found it creepy and wrong as hell. I'd prefer death of either/both party(ies), tbh. Oh well, I had time to get used to it.) Have a pretty shippy MV:
8. Did I mention the gorgeous and awesome Liu Shi Shi?
9. Tough women. Yang Mama is awesome and scary. The OTPs of Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Seventh brothers are awesome too. Even the Yang little sister is smart and tough and awesome and she's eight!
10. There are a lot of happy episodes. True, they are probably there to shove the knife in deeper when horrible things happen, but it's a period cdrama, I'll take what I can get.
So here we are :) Just finished ep 11, ep 12 here I come!