I confess I would have not checked out Can We Get Married (crazy Mom tries to get daughters married off rich, upset her youngest chooses a regular salaryman - that set-up is not my thing) except for two things:
1. It's on jTBC and I've been liking a lot of the cable dramas I've seen
2. Sung Joon (Shut Up Flower Boy Band) and Jung So Min (Playful Kiss) play the leads - the salaryman and the youngest daughter. I adore both of them separately and the thought of them together just fills me with so much glee, I couldn't pass up this chance to watch them. (Also, for once, an age-appropriate pairing! I was wondering if under-25 actresses were a dying breed).
I have just finished the first episode and overall, I really enjoyed it.
* Sung Joon and Jung So Min are awesome in their roles and have ridiculous amounts of chemistry. Plus, their characters just feel real and flawed and adorable and guuuuh. I could watch them forever. For some reason I keep seeing this a twdrama with Ariel Lin in JSM's role and Bolin Chen in Sung Joon's (yes, I have In Time With You hangover).
* The directing is assured (though cuts to flashbacks without signalling are a bit of a hiccup) and the cinematography is crisp.
* It's on cable, so there are twdrama-level makeouts.
* This is a rare drama where I feel like I could run into these people on the street or have them as coworkers. Especially Jung So Min and her friend - I have a feeling they could have been some of my 20-something friends...
* I really like Jung So Min's friend, whose name escapes me at the moment. She is awesome.
* The drama seems to avoid cliche 'oooh, misunderstanding' possibilities - people behave in sane fashion.
* I like Jung So Min's aunt and Sung Joon's family.
* Did I mention make-outs? With Jung So Min and Jung Hoon?
* I hate an awful lot of characters - I want to strangle Jung So Min's mother. I think she is supposed to be funny, but I find her so irritating, I stick the volume on mute whenever she appears. If I could, I'd minimize her role as much as I could. Ugh. Nails on chalkboard.
* I really hate friend's (ex?) boyfriend. He's hunky as hell (looks like a younger Kim Rae Won, mmmm) and I have a lot of goodwill for the actor (who played Yoona's suitor in Love Rain), plus his makeout scenes are epic, but that character is such a douchebag (in relationships - he is actually a pretty good friend for Sung Joon)! I want him to be kidnapped by hoodlums from May Queen and beaten half to death. I am pretty sure the drama is going to get him and friend back together but they will have to work hard on making me OK with it.
* Oldest sister and her horrid marriage. Feels like it belongs in a much darker, drearier drama. It's well done and acted but I want sugary cuteness not two miserable people being miserable together.
VERDICT: I am keeping this puppy but I really hope they cut down on Mom and oldest sister, and make the sexy douchebag grovel. Preferably shirtless.
The proposal! And look at that kissing! And how happy they are! Ah, cable, I love you!
Look how happy he is about getting engaged. Awwwwwww!
Douchebag and friend. I was all for the makeout, but then they get into fighting about commitment and he tells her if she wants to get married, he isn't going for it, also there is the whole thing where he says he doesn't like it when she is weak and basically, jeeeeeerk! If there ever was a one-night-stand material and no more, that is it.
I want Sung Joon's room:
Flashback how JSM got Sung Joon to propose - she told him if he didn't want to get married, she was out. That's kind of realistic...
For the Sung Joon fangirls...
That was so refreshing, JSM not jumping to conclusions...